Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Incense & Oil for Imbolc

With Imbolc just a week away, it's time to make some preparations for observing this sabbat. I tend to keep things quiet for this one, and usually I don't even decorate my altar for it. Lots of people find this odd as given that I am an artist by trade, this one should be a slam-dunk for me when it comes to observing the sabbat with art or poetry, which are traditional for Imbolc. But maybe that's exactly why I don't go to the lengths I do for some of the other sabbats: because I live with and honor my creativity every single day. Regardless, I do enjoy a quiet circle that night and it's nice to have some oils and incense made especially for it.

Imbolc Incense
3 parts Frankincense
2 parts Dragon's Blood
1 part Red Sandalwood
1 part Cinnamon
1 part Rosemary

Grind all herbs one at a time and then combine together. Burn over a charcoal in a censer during ritual.

Sun Oil
4 drops Frankincense
2 drops Cinnamon
1 drop Petitgrain
1 drop Rosemary

Combine all essential oils in a base of 1/8 cup of sunflower oil or jojoba oil and use to anoint the candles used during ritual.

Sun Oil recipe is courtesy of Scott Cunningham, The Complete Book of Incense, Oils, & Brews, Llewellyn Publications, 1989.
Photo of Dragon's Blood courtesy of Treasach on flickr.

2 comments:

Little Wing said...

Hi, I'm a new follower and I'm really enjoying your blog and learning a lot from it. Someone gave me the Creative Blogger award and yours was one of the first I thought to pass it on to. You can find it on my blog.

Have a great day!

Victoria said...

Thank you very much!