Sunday, August 16, 2009

Cat Nights

I love old witch tales and witch's lore and this is a good one.

The term “Cat Nights” harks back to a rather obscure Irish legend concerning witches and the belief that a witch could turn herself into a cat eight times, but on the ninth time, August 17, she couldn’t regain her human form.

With only a few hours till it ticks over to the 17th, a word of warning to all you witches out there who have pushed your transfiguration to the limit and were thinking about 'just one more time'...you might want to give it a bit more thought.

This bit of folklore also led to the idea that a cat has nine lives.

1 comment:

VintageSage said...

I have never heard of this but I love it. I guess I haven't pushed nine lives yet...I'm still here....but next year I'm not so sure. ;) I better be careful close to the 17th!