Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Apple Lore

If you eat an apple on Samhain right before you go to bed, you won't have any illnesses during the next twelve months. Eat a slice from each of three apples on Samhain night and you'll have a year of good luck.

Bury an apple in your witch's garden, beneath the light of the moon on Samhain night, and it will feed the souls of those restless spirits wandering through the realm of the living that night. Living in the northeast, I wouldn't even attempt to dig into my cold hard earth at the end of October, but I do leave an offering of cakes out on the sundial in my garden to nourish the ghostly travelers who are out and about on Samhain night. It's far less back-breaking!

Photo courtesy of Aviana2 on Flickr.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the folk lore on apples. I am definitely going to try it...but as you said, I live in the northeast as well (PA), so we won't be burying any apples in October!

Blessings!
Marlyn

Jenny said...

Ummm. Hate to be a downer here but if this is true are you saying you won't be sick for the next year? Really?

Victoria said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Victoria said...

That's why it's called "lore" and not "hard facts." lol

Jenny said...

Well, damn. I guess we're still going to need that health care reform.

Victoria said...

Yup! And the funny thing is, I've had bronchitis for three weeks courtesy of a sinus infection. Too bad I couldn't hold out till Samhain and that apple! lol

Anonymous said...

I loved your blog. I added a link on my page. I hope you approve. Blessings.