Saturday, September 12, 2009

Wishing for Witches

I really enjoy being a solitary witch and thus being able to do my own thing, doing what I want when I want to do it, but there are times in my life when I wish I was part of a coven. It wouldn't even have to be a proper coven that meets regularly and has rules and regulations or follows a specific tradition. I'd happily settle for just a friend or two who are also children of the Craft that I could call on when needed and who would understand. Because there are times in our lives when we simply need someone who can be there for us in ways that those who aren't witches just can't be.

I had a nasty virus over the past weekend and by Wednesday was in dire need of some emergency (and really horrible) dental surgery on top of it. What I wanted was to spend some time in circle, hoping to generate some positive healing energy to help me make a speedier recovery, but I just didn't have enough gas in my tank to pull it off. In the past I've been ill and struggled to help me help myself and have had positive results, but what happens when you can't do it alone? That's where my much longed-for witch friends would come in. This week would have been much more tolerable with a little bit of witchy help from others who know me well.

And having some witch friends to share in my everyday healthy life would be a blessing as well: casting circle together occasionally, sharing recipes and potions, celebrating the sabbats together, and just being friends in a way that fills a void in my life that my other non-practicing friends and family sadly can never fill.

Being a solitary witch is for the most part fine with me, but every once in a while I find myself yearning for someone to share my journey with, and this week was one of those times.

2 comments:

VintageSage said...

I completely understand what you mean. In fact, I was just telling someone on The Black Hat Society that I had wished there was such thing as a coven with none of the rules, regulations and drama! I do have a sister in spirit who I get together with to do energy work but just to have a few friends to gather, cook, bake, watch fun movies, make fun drinks etc. is something I yearn for every now and then. I may take the step in creating a smaller group here around my area. :)

Maybe you should try a small group? :)

Brightest blessings always!

Victoria said...

I think I might. The trouble is in finding the people who practice! I just ordered a book on starting a coven which may give me some pointers I haven't thought of. Good luck starting your own small group- let me know how it goes!